Apple Pay is a form of contactless payments via the major debit and credits companies, VISA, MasterCard, American Express and etc.
Apple Pay was made to be a secure mode of contactless payments by using your fingerprint. It is available in Singapore with primarily the 6 banks, DBS, POSB, OCBC, UOB, Standard Chartered and HSBC via Visa or MasterCard. American Express is available in Singapore, however, it will not work with local banks’ Amex cards.
To add a credit or debit card to Apple Pay, you will need:
- an iPhone 6 or later, or an iPhone SE.
- Your device running the latest iOS version. (Current as of Feb 2018: iOS 11.2.5).
- Touch ID and/or Face ID enabled with passcode
1. Open the “Wallet” app.
2. Tap on the “+” at the top right in the Apple Pay section.
3. Tap on “Next”.
4a. Place your credit or debit card and position your card to the frame. It will automatically detect your card number, your name and your card expiry and will bring you to Step 4b.
* Do not worry if it does not capture all or any of the 3 details. You can add or edit the details in Step 4b. You can enter your details manually too, see Step 4b.
4b. To enter the card details manually, select “Enter Card Details Manually” at the bottom as seen from the image above. Or if there are some more details to add or edit, you will see the screen as like image below:
Add or edit your name and card number and tap “Next”.
5. Add or edit your card expiry and add your security code from the back of your card.
6. Ensure that the details are correct and tap “Next”.
7. Terms & Conditions: Tap “Agree” at the bottom to continue.
After tapping “Agree”, Apple Pay will begin its setting up the process.
8. To verify the use of the credit or debit card with Apple Pay, select either SMS or Text Message code or you can call the bank. If you select either SMS or Text Message, a code will be sent to you via SMS.
9. Enter your verification code and tap “Next”.
9. The verification process will begin. Once completed and verified, your credit or debit card for Apple Pay has been activated. You will see a similar screen below and tap “Done”.
10. Once the setup process completed, you will see this screen as below in your Wallet app.
11. Now, you are ready to use Apple Pay at merchants that accept contactless payments such as McDonald’s, StarBucks, 7-11 and UNIQLO. Apple Pay is also available in various shopping apps in the App Store, such as Singapore Airlines and you can a few websites via the Safari browser as well.
You can add up to 8 or 12 debit and credit cards of your choice, for older iPhone models and newer iPhone models, respectively, and the steps will be the identical as above.
iPhone models that support 8 cards in Wallet:
- iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6s & iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 7 & iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone SE
iPhone models that support 12 cards in Wallet (2017 and later):
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X
We hope that your set up process has been made easier with this How-To Guide. Please do comment down below on your experiences with setting up or using Apple Pay or if you have encountered any issues.